Complaints Procedure

Here at United Gas & Power we strive to do everything we can to ensure our customers receive the best possible service. If however you are not satisfied with the level of service provided by us, we will endeavour to resolve any complaint as soon as possible.


How to contact us

We are sorry that you are not happy with our service. Please get in touch with us and we will aim to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

By phone: 0800 6696697

By email:

By letter: Customer Services, United Gas & Power, 16 Otley Road, Guiseley, Leeds, LS20 8AH


Complaints Procedure

If you consider that you have cause to complain, this web page will advise you:

  • How to make a complaint
  • The procedures we are committed to follow in ensuring your complaint is dealt with promptly, fairly, and effectively
  • What options are open to you should you not be satisfied with our response

We will deal with all complaints quickly, courteously, and fairly. United Gas & Power always aims to provide the highest standards of service and account management but at times mistakes can happen. If after receiving your complaint it becomes clear a mistake has been made you can expect any one, or a combination, of the following:

  • An apology
  • A full explanation
  • Details of any appropriate remedial action taken
  • An award of compensation in appropriate circumstances


Our Complaints handling procedure

1, We always aim to resolve your complaint as soon as possible. We will promptly acknowledge your complaint in writing no later than five working days after receipt.

2, We will keep you regularly informed of our progress and the measures being taken to resolve your complaint. If for whatever reason we were unable to resolve the complaint within four weeks from the date we received your complaint, we will issue a letter to you explaining why this was not possible, and indicate when we will make further contact. You are welcome to contact us at any time to check the status of our investigation.

3, If you are not satisfied by our initial response, you can ask us to review your complaint again and advise us of any additional information you believe may be relevant. We will then review your complaint once more and provide you with our final response. This will be issued within four weeks of the date we received your review request.

4, If, after eight weeks, your complaint remains unresolved or you are not satisfied with our final response, we will write to you explaining why we have been unable to conclude your complaint and the options available to you.  If, you are a microbusiness* customer and you have received a deadlock letter from us, you also have the right to refer your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman [link]. The Energy Ombudsman is approved by Ofgem – the UK gas and electricity regulator – to independently handle energy disputes between consumers and energy suppliers.


Independent Advice


Citizens Advice Consumer Service

The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, independent, and impartial advice to gas and electricity customers. You can contact the Citizens advice consumer service on 03454 040 506 or visit their website


Energy Ombudsman

The Energy Ombudsman is approved by Ofgem – the UK gas and electricity regulator – to independently handle energy disputes between consumers and energy suppliers.

For more information, visit their website

By telephone on 0330 440 1624

Postal Address: Energy Ombudsman, P.O. Box 966, Warrington, WA49DF



Ofgem’s Complaint Handling Standards Regulations

We must handle complaints from customers as set out by the energy regulator, Ofgem. These regulations are called The Gas and Electricity (Consumer Complaints Handling Standards) Regulations 2008. To view a copy click here.


Definition of a micro business

A micro-business must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Has fewer than 10 full-time equivalent employees and an annual turnover or annual balance sheet total of less than €2 million a year
  • OR Uses less than 293,000 kWh of gas per annum
  • OR Uses less than 100,000 kWh of electricity per annum

If you are a micro business, we only work with brokers (also known as ‘third party intermediaries’) that are members of a qualifying alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme provided by the Energy Ombudsman.

If you have a complaint about a broker, please contact your broker. If the complaint has reached a “deadlock” position or has been unresolved for more than eight weeks the complaint may be progressed, free of charge to the Energy Ombudsman to resolve.

More information can be found on the Energy Ombudsman’s website, here.