What information is needed when I move premises?

When you have decided on a date of moving, contact our Customer Services Team to make arrangement for a final reading of your gas and electricity meters. If you have to take the reading yourself then take it on the day of your move and provide us with a forwarding address where your final energy bill can be sent. If you have the new tenant’s information please provide us with this as well.

Click here to download the Change of Tenancy (COT) form.